—Yoko Majikick Ono
but, bbygrl, why a tura satana appreciation day?
[tw : rape]
- she’s a total babe. duh.
- she’s japanese, filipino, cheyenne + irish.
- she was simultaneously a straight-a student in school while being viciously bullied for her heritage + size and punished by her parents for getting into fights. i mean, even without the straight a’s, she was strong and endured feeling isolated at home and at school.
- she’s a fellow rape survivor — “Walking home from school at the age of nine she was gang raped by five men. According to Satana, her attackers were never prosecuted and it was rumored that the judge had been paid off. She tells how this prompted her to learn the martial arts of aikido and karate and, over the next 15 years, track down each rapist and exact revenge. ’I made a vow to myself that I would someday, somehow get even with all of them’, she said years later. ‘They never knew who I was until I told them.’”
- she began living on her own at the age of 13, after her parents married her to a 17-year old and she wasn’t having that bullshit. i can’t even imagine what that was like.
- she was an extremely successful burlesque dancer, and even when she got pregnant at 19 she danced through the first eight months of her pregnancy! and yeah, she still made BANK.
- faster pussycat! kill! kill! — a cult classic john waters apparently calls the greatest movie ever made. i still haven’t seen it, but from what i’ve read it portrays the three female leads (tura satana is the LEAD lead) in positions or power that normally men are portrayed in, and that’s allll the way back in the 60’s. she did all her own stunts and fight scenes. the majority of satana’s styling and one-liners, and some additional key concepts of the film, were satana’s own doing.
- after being shot by a former lover and staying in a hospital, she decided to study nursing and she did just that. she even briefly worked as the dispatcher for the lapd.
tura satana passed away on 2/4/2011, but she’s still amazing and one of my inspirations as a woc, especially as a mixed-race asian rape survivor struggling to embrace my sexuality. <3 and that’s why i’m giving her her own day! just who she was makes me feel good about me.
all facts taken from tura satana’s wikipedia page
ugh, sometimes i channel this wonderbabe when my day is terrible
I feel like we’ve seen something like this before. We’ve seen it in the past maybe? During a specific era, where an empire was growing, swallowing up lands, whether they liked it or not. Maybe I’m wrong, and I’ve got history wrong.
According to USAToday,
Jews emerging from a synagogue say they were handed leaflets that ordered the city’s Jews to provide a list of property they own and pay a registration fee “or else have their citizenship revoked, face deportation and see their assets confiscated,” reported Ynet News, Israel’s largest news website.
Wait wait wait wait. Pay a registration fee? Face their citizenship being revoked? Being deported? Property confiscated? Surely, it can’t be??? After all, these protests were a good thing, we were told! It’d be mutually beneficial for everyone involved (minus the West and Ukraine).
I must be lying. Surely, there is no evidence to back this up??? The Israeli’s must be lying! Why, they’re probably doing this to provoke unnecessary conflict! Yeah, that’s what it is…
Wait, nevermind. As quoted “The leaflets bore the name of Denis Pushilin, who identified himself as chairman of “Donetsk’s temporary government,” and were distributed near the Donetsk synagogue and other areas, according to the reports.” It’s the Head of the “temporary government” who authorized they be handed out. Oops.
So when you realize that communo-fascism is back on the rise, it worries you a bit. Maybe we’re in for yet another mass execution. Who knows, but if history has it’s way, this is only the beginning.
NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE
Anonymous asked: Just because I want to learn, why is saying makeup is gender neutral bad?
because it’s not gender neutral. makeup is primarily marketed towards women, for women, to make us into “better” versions of ourselves…versions that rely heavily on what men want us to look like, how men want us to be.
it would be cool if makeup was gender neutral. but it’s not. when men put on makeup, it’s defying gender roles. they don’t perform femininity to survive, to feel good even in the slightest about themselves. women do. women have to, men choose to.
"make up is gender neutral" is bullshit, because the system still expects women to perform femininity by default, and gender nonconforming women are shit on left and right for not doing so. i don’t care about protecting a man’s ability to wear lipstick without judgement. i’m not here to proclaim "make up is gender neutral! don’t judge!1!1!!1!111" i’m here to make sure that the women who don’t wear makeup are safe, protected, loved, and accepted.
there’s a difference between advertising and its actual use. Makeup may be advertised for cis women but that doesn’t mean no one else uses it. Anyone can wear makeup hence the “makeup is gender neutral”.
the “difference” between advertising makeup and who “actually” uses make up is not miles long.
make up never was, and never will be, gender neutral until women aren’t the targets for its intended use.
women can’t even get jobs if they don’t perform femininity, women are judged in every single which way (whether they wear make up or not) but ESPECIALLY if they don’t wear make up.
just because there are a few guys that like to play around with make up kits doesn’t mean it’s gender neutral. when mainstream media picks up on those men, and uses THEM as lab rats and tells THEM that their skin is too wrinkly and their eyebrows are too crooked and their lips too thin and their eyelashes too short…then MAYBE we can start talking about make up being gender neutral.
until then, women are the targets 99.9% of the time. we are the ones being affected, not men who like magenta lipstick. it is not gender neutral, no matter how many guys you believe or know use make up.
'anyone can wear makeup hence it's gender neutral' is one of the most myopic and poorly thought out thing i've ever heard masquerading as progressive politics